Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veggie "corn dogs"

Last night I made one of my boyfriends favorites, corn dogs. I try to avoid using the fryer too often, so this is a bake method. I really wish I had mini muffin pans for this to make corn dog bites, because they would be so much cuter. They are still pretty neat if all you have is regular muffin pans like me though! You can use any corn bread recipe you like really, or even those boxes of corn bread mix work quite well too.





Veggie corn dogs

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable/canola oil
1 cup milk
3-4 Vegetarian hot dogs



  1. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt
  2. Stir in the egg, oil and milk, it will remain a little lumpy, thats ok
  3. Cut up hot dogs into about 1 inch rounds, stick an end into the muffin pan and cut so that it is just a little shorter then the top of the pan.
  4. Slice each round in half, unless your using mini muffins then leave it
  5. Pour the batter into the greased pans to about half full
  6. Add hot dogs around the center of the muffin pan, if your using mini muffins just put one in the center, if your using regular pans you will need to put 3-4 pieces in there.
  7. Spoon any remaining batter over the hot dogs, just dont go over 3/4 full. Also, its ok if you dont have enough to go over the hot dogs.
  8. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes
  9. Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing them, and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I love veggie corn dogs, but I hate buying 6 to a box. This is economical and looks great. By the way, I found you a mini muffin pan to order

http://www.katom.com/268-905245.html

Allie said...

This is kind of brilliant. I never would have thought of making them in muffin tins! So cool.

I'm trolling vegetarian/vegan blogs to help promote my friends comic strip and new book. Interested in a vegetarian/vegan comic strip? Check out www.lolalollipop.com. Here are few of Lola's Thanksgiving strips to give you taste of her topics. I hope that you will check out her site and pass it along.

http://lolalollipop.com/110-how-are-turkeys-killed/
http://lolalollipop.com/111-no-more-thanksgiving/

Thanks!
Allison